Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Tutorial: Pattern Paper Heart Garland


I am having fun making some Valentine's decorations on the cheap this year. On Monday, I showed you my Valentine's Day tree branch decor, using simple branches, a vase, and coffee beans. Today, I am going to show you a heart garland made from pattern paper.

This idea formed because it seems that everyone has some sort of project with book pages. When I was at Anthropologie last spring, they were using cut up sewing pattern pieces in the shapes of butterflies to decorate. I decided to try and combine the two ideas and make a garland, with cut-out hearts, using sewing pattern paper.

This is what I came up with:
I am really happy with how it turned out!


I decided to make all of my hearts the same size (varying sizes could look really cool too). So, I made a stencil and accordion-folded my old pattern pieces (I got this pattern in the free bin at my local thrift store). I traced on the hearts.


Then, I cut, cut, cut until I had a huge pile of hearts.


I layered 4 open hearts in my sewing machine and sewed a straight line going down the middle. I left about 3 inches gap between each heart, just by continuing to sew even though I didn't have anything I was feeding into the machine. It helped to hold onto the heart I had just sewn for a few extra inches after it was sewn through, and then feeding the next set of hearts through.
All of my hearts were on one continuous string of thread. If the thread broke, I just went back to the last heart that was connected and continued from there.
I love how some of the hearts have little sewing lines or little scissors! So fun!

After I had a long, long string of hearts, I began to drape them over my Valentine's tree branch decor. You could really string these anywhere!

I hope this inspires you to make some quick Valentine's decor with something you have on hand! What are your favorite Valentine's decorations around your home?

Other Valentine's Day posts:
Pin It

9 comments:

  1. What a fun idea! I have lots of left over pattern paper!!!

    I'd love if you'd link this up at our first ever linky party! We're partying now!
    http://classyclutter.blogspot.com/2012/02/spotlight-saturday-1-our-first-linky.html

    xoxo, Mallory @ Classy Clutter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from Nifty Thrifty1 As a sewer and having so many patterns that I don't use this idea is beyond creative. I love it. It is darling. What is also so great is that it is simple but yet such a loving look. I will be doing, thanks for showing us how. I've got my fingers crossed that you'll share on Sunday's Best Party this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.. this is such a wonderful and simple idea.. Thanks for linking up at friday fun party

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the idea!
    I just like how the pattern paper looks, so I bought some recently in my local Salvos store.
    I didn't really know what I wanted to do with it, so your post initiated something here :)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Would love for you to stop by and link up to the Tuesday To Do Party if you haven't already!
    Smiles!
    Jami
    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2012/02/tuesday-to-do-part-49-and-48-list.html

    ReplyDelete