Wednesday, January 18, 2012

My Red Wool Purse

Last March, I finished making this purse (I know that is a long time ago...). However, I didn't have a blog at the time to show you how it turned out. I still love it, and I have seen some conversations in the blog world lately about using wool. So, I thought I would share.

It is my 'winter' purse this year - so it has gotten a lot of use (hence, it is a little bit dirty and it is starting to pill). This is the Streetcar Bag by Indygo Junction, and you can find the pattern here.

I love the big buttons on the front flap. The bottom two corners are box corners. The strap is the perfect size to put over your shoulder or carry. I also like the shape of the bag; the narrow top is easy for me to get things in and out of but still keeps things in.

The flap is held on by a magnetic snap.
Under the flap is my favorite feature of the purse - pleats.
I just love how the fabric comes together there.

Inside is a zippered pocket (the first time I tried this style of pocket).
I believe it was optional piece in the pattern - but I always think taking the time to add a pocket is worth it. I always have something little I want to keep track of!

I am so happy with this purse! Overall, the wool was nice and easy to sew.
It was fun for me to explore a new type of fabric!

Has anyone else tried sewing with wool?
Pin It

22 comments:

  1. LOVE this! You are so talented! I'm your newest follower...really enjoying your blog :). Your creativity is inspiring. Come stop by ours too!
    funwiththefullwoods.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! Just taught myself how to use my new {actually refurbished} sewing machine! Will follow you to keep an eye on your projects! Come visit soon - dwellonjoy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This came out beautifully! I actually own an antique wool purse that is almost too fragile to use but I never thought about making a wool purse for myself....you have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks great!!!
    thanks for linking up and sharing it on Make it MOnday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really cute. It has a very unique look. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! Take that baby out on Valentine's Day!!! :)
    I've been looking for unusual bag patterns. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely purse! I featured this on Sugar Bee Crafts today (reader features)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never sewn with wool, but I love your purse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try. It is a pretty forgiving fabric; I really didn't run into any problems! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Super duper cute. I love the lines on this bag!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one of my favorite parts too! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Such a pretty purse! Found you via Positively Splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love purses. This one is super cute. I totally agree about the buttons. Excellent color choice, red is my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love purses too! It is something you can sew that can be for anyone (unlike garment sewing). I can't wait to find another use for big buttons! I will be sure to share what I make next. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. What a fabulous little hand bag! The red is great! I'd love it if you'd share this over at the Head to Head Showdown link party, happening right now at www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love this! Red and Teal are current fave colors. Learning to sew is on my bucket list..I so need to learn..im a bit afraid though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are great colors! With sewing - consider, what is the worst that could happen? You maybe would ruin a piece of fabric or not like the result, but those are just little things (and they happen to everyone). Give it a try!

      I taught the girls I nannied for how to sew a bag first, and then we worked on pillowcases and the easy headband (tutorial is posted on my blog). Just choose something that you are interested in, and let me know what it is. I would post some beginner sewing lessons for your project to help you get started!

      Delete