Saturday, August 13, 2011

Hobby Horse

This afternoon, I had so much fun making a hobby horse for my niece's 2nd birthday.


I read about it last month here and followed most of the tutorial. I was excited that it cost less than $8 to make! I got the fabric and yarn at thrift stores (totaling $2.50). I bought the rest of the supplies (ribon, wooden dowel, D-rings) for about $5. I already had the purple polka-dot and white fabrics.


I covered the wooden dowel in the corduroy fabric and used a tight rubberband and hot glue to attach the head to the stick. The funnest part is just getting to make something for someone you love.


I hope this little 2 year-old has fun galloping around with a new friend!


Update: check out the outfit that goes with the horse here!

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. It looks really great! Does it have a name? This was my first try on a pattern. Did you have any trouble with it? Thank u for letting me know. I am smiling

    ReplyDelete
  2. No name yet - I'll let my niece think of that! The pattern worked pretty well. I enlarged it by 200%, then by 150% after that to get it to scale. After I put the darts in the front of the nose, it was too small to sew onto the main part of the head, so I just sized the head and the neck down a little. It worked great, and I am so happy with how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! That fabric was such a great find. Savers is having a Labor Day sale where most everything in the store is 50% off. Let me know if you want me to look for something as I will probably go. P.S. I hope you know this is me, the previously mentioned BFF.

    ReplyDelete