Tuesday, August 2, 2011

TUTORIAL: Melting Frosting


One of my newest, most favorite techniques for decorating cupcakes is dipping the top of a cupcake in melted frosting.

Have you seen this book?
From: http://www.hellocupcakebook.com/
It is FULL of creative ways to decorate cupcakes in simple ways. They only use store bought frosting, and I am going to show you the step-by-step pictures of how to melt frosting (a very important piece of the book).

Why melt frosting? It gives the frosting a smooth look that can not be done with a spatula.
I have used this technique in these projects:

S'Mores Cupcakes (under the marshmallow frosting)
Microphone Cupcakes (on the microphone)
Duck Cupcakes
 First, choose your frosting (I am using milk chocolate).


Next, melt it in the microwave (in a microwave-safe bowl) . It takes somewhere between 30 - 45 seconds to melt a whole container worth. I usually put it in for about 20 seconds, stir, and then heat it in 5 second increments until it is completely melted. You know it is melted when it drips smoothly off a spoon.


Next, get your cupcake. Dip the cupcake upside down in your container of frosting (I like to dip it straight from the frosting container because it is tall and the perfect width).


Pull up your cupcake. Allow the excess frosting to drip off.


Roll your wrist as you flip the cupcake right-side up. Make sure there are no drips.


Allow the frosting to harden in the open air of your kitchen :). If you have a topping you want to add (like graham crackers or sprinkles), it is good to sprinkle them on before the frosting hardens so they really stick on.


Hint: It is easiest to use a cupcake liner that is similar in color to the frosting. Then, you won't notice as easily if your frosting goes over top of your lining.

Enjoy baking!
K Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Another tutorial I read said to melt the frosting for five minutes. I thought it sounded like a long time, so I did three. After a minute and a half, it was scary looking and super runny. I'm going to try again using your time. Thanks for the tips! Off to the store I go.

    ReplyDelete