Monday, January 16, 2012

Tutorial: Anthro-Inspired Headband with Bow



I saw this cute headband last spring at Anthropologie (I know...it's taken me awhile to reproduce it...)
I thought the bow was cute - but it cost $18! 
 
So, I knew right then I was going to try to make one. I think that I hit it spot-on!

First, let's get our supplies ready.
You will need: a headband (mine was plastic and came in a 4-pack for about $2), a hot glue gun, fray check, two strips of fabric, and double-sided fusible interfacing.

For your fabric you will need two pieces - 
1. the main fabric that wraps around the headband (I am using light blue)- cut 1/2" x 44" (you will use more or less based on how close you wrap it)
2. the fabric for the bow (I am using a small flower print) - 5/8" x 15"

Get these two fabric pieces ready by squirting a little bit of fray check all the way down each of the long sides. 
This is the best time to also trim any loose threads that are along any of the edges.


Next,
*Trim two - 1" pieces from your main fabric. 
*Put a dot of glue on the front and back side of each end of the headband, and wrap the little piece around. This makes sure each of the ends are thoroughly covered.


*Starting at one end, place a dot of glue on the inside of the headband. 
*Wrap the fabric around the end one time, making sure to get your starter fabric tucked in.
*Now, start to wrap the fabric around the headband. I usually put a dot of glue on the inside of the headband and wrapped the fabric around two times (making sure to always overlap the fabric, leaving no gaps). Then, I would put another dot of glue and wrap the fabric two more times. I tried to wrap the main fabric slightly angled. I continued this until I got all the way around the headband.
*I finished by wrapping the fabric around the other end, put a dot of glue on the inside, and then trimmed the excess fabric.


If your fabric isn't long enough to make it all the way to the end of the headband...
*Then, glue the end of the fabric on the inside of the headband.
*With another piece of fabric, glue it on the inside of the headband and continue in the same way all the way to the end.


Now, let's get the bow ready.
*With your 5/8" x 15" piece of bow fabric, place a piece of two-sided fusible interfacing covering only half of the bow (lengthwise). 
*After ironing, remove the paper and iron the bow in half, lengthwise.
*Using a VERY small seam allowance, sew next to the raw edges of the bow fabric (3 of the 4 edges are raw).


Our last step is to attach the bow to the headband.
*First, fold the bow in thirds (like you would a brochure). Use your fingers to press the two folds.
*Then, put a dot of glue on the center of the bottom of the bow, and wrap your leftover main fabric around one time.
*Put a dot of glue on top of the headband where you would the bow to be, and place the bow on top.
*Wrap the fabric around the headband and the bow one time. On the inside of the headband, put a dot of glue and trim off the excess fabric.



There you go. Super cute!

Enjoy sewing (and gluing)!


Pin It

13 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! I just may have to "pin it!" New to your blog and glad I found your little creative space on the web:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love the simplicity. I'll be making one for my toddler! I don't think I can pull it off... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! Love headbands, and love to re-create items!
    ~Gay~
    itsahodgepodgelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. darling! BOWS are all the trend right now!

    thanks for linking up to Make it monday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute!! Would love for you to link up @ Find Your Craft Friday over on my blog... Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ BabyBerry
    http://weinzapfelbabyberry.blogspot.com/2012/02/find-your-craft-friday-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable. I love these..i have to do this!
    I would love it if you come by and link this up at From Scratch Friday @ Marriage from Scratch! It’s live already on the blog 

    ~Christina
    www.marriagefromscratch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! It looks easy & they are so cute! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Easy to follow tutorial and so sweet. Looks simple enough to make one for every outfit. I would love for you to share this at our ongoing themed linky that's just for hair accessories...
    http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/threading-your-way-hair-accessories.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look great! I need to try this! Love Anthropologie but don't always love the prices. ;) Excited to be a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too cute and I love how easy they are to make..

    ReplyDelete