Mom's Mac & Cheese
from the kitchen of...my mom!
2 cups of macaroni noodles, uncooked
8 T margarine/butter (1 stick)
6 T flour
3 cups cold milk
2 cups shredded cheese (I usually use cheddar.)
1/2 a sleeve of saltine crackers
1. Cook macaroni until done.
3. When it's all bubbly, add 3 C cold milk. I usually put a little in and stir it smooth and then add the rest to keep it from being lumpy. Cook, stirring constantly until it's thicker. Remove from heat. Then add 2 C shredded cheese to the sauce. Mix this in.
4. Add your drained macaroni to the sauce mixture and stir together. Pour into casserole dish (2 or 2-1/2 qt.).
5. Topping: Use the other 2 T margarine/butter and melt it. Crumble up about 1/2 a sleeve of saltines and stir it into the margarine. Sprinkle on top of the macaroni mixture.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes to heat through and blend flavors.
Mmm...enjoy! The perfect combination of cheesy noodles with salty, crunchy saltines.
Do you have a favorite recipe that just reminds you of home?
Other dinner ideas:
Blogs I link to: CraftOManiac, Brassy Apple, Sumo’s Sweet Stuff, Tip Junkie, Shwin and Shwin, Home Stories A to Z, Creative Itch, Sugar Bee Crafts, Coastal Charm, Not Just a Housewife, Hope Studios, Chef in Training, Mommy By Day Crafter By Night, Southern Lovely, Passionately Artistic, Sew Woodsy, Ginger Snaps, Someday Crafts, Creations by Kara, Rae Gun Ramblings, Delightful Order, House of Hepworths, The CSI Project, Kojo Designs, Tatertots & Jello, Shabby Nest, Chic on a Shoestring, Simple Home Life, 30 Handmade Days, Family Ever After, Craftionary, I Heart Nap Time, Positively Splendid, Nifty Thrifty Things